Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Another S2 that landed in the river :(

Lifeisfun

Reaction score
Will be interesting to follow how this situation will be handled by Skydio.
Hard to say what happened, I fly over river on weekly basis and it's scary every time when hand landing back on the boat.

Perhaps too dark for it? Looks to be nearly sunset.

Referencing that location, it was within 1/2 hour of sunset with scatted clouds.

May have been too dark.
Don't know, I hope he will update on what was the cause. If the default on low light is that you can't control it, and it will just land that would be silly.

That is scary, I don't know if I could ever be comfortable flying over water, I know it's often done though.

That is scary, I don't know if I could ever be comfortable flying over water, I know it's often done though.
Looks like Skydio acknowledged software bug that was fixed in latest update.
Glad it didn't happened to me, used it many times but never drained the battery so low.
He will get new drone.

Reactions: richinAZ
Sounds like they're doing the right thing and addressing the issue. I fly up until the battery warning comes up but I'm not over water . Thankfully I've never had it abruptly try to land on it's own, some of the places I fly that would be a big problem.

Sounds like they're doing the right thing and addressing the issue. I fly up until the battery warning comes up but I'm not over water . Thankfully I've never had it abruptly try to land on it's own, some of the places I fly that would be a big problem.
For sure, also the speed solving cases is impressive.

My hat's off to Alfredo for how professionally he worked through the steps to get Skydio to honor replacing his S2.

It's also needs to be said that Skydio is keeping its word about "quickly" replacing a defective a S2 at no charge to its customers.

I've flown several flights directly over water (> 20flights), at significant distances from shore (up to 600m offshore) and had no signs of trouble with Skydio2. For me, it flies just the same as if it was over land.
I have not tried the beacon, but have been using the controller and flying either with Skydio2 app (on ipad) or with DroneDeploy (again on iPad) for pre-programmed autonomous survey missions (like mowing the lawn).

I haven't tried to fly super low to the water surface, but have done most of the flights either ~90m or ~30m AGL.

I don't think I would try the 'fly to spot' feature on the Skydio app where you push with your finger on the ipad where you want it to go... It seems possible that the real-time surface model might identify the bottom surface under water and try to fly there.

If each of us made a 2 column list of what we consider pro's and con's of the S2 and then ranked them high to low I doubt any two lists would be the same... maybe I'll feel different after months of flying but just experimenting with what this little guy can do is going to be a lot of fun.

The more I can get away from a screen the better I'll feel. Only one screen has anywhere near the brightness I want but its plagued by heat problems that I doubt will ever get fixed without some yet to be discovered jump in technology.

I've flown for quite a few years and like everyone else always having to spend most of every flight concentrating on situational awareness really detracts from the fun of flying. The S2's OA is in effect going to give me a second (hopefully smarter) pilot onboard that's going to let me play with everything else and not worry about pesky obstacles. Time will tell how much we get along.... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup