Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Anyone with extensive experience flying flowing over water?

Lifeisfun

Reaction score
I'm waiting for months to see some posts or videos using the S2 on the water.
Not much luck, and after the famous now video where it ditched to the cranberry pond , I lost my hope :(

Anyone?

Thanks

Just saw this post too... I sent you a reply in the other thread. Flying over water doesn't seem to be the issue itself. I think tracking the beacon alone over the water is scary and launching from land or a dock is a better idea. Also Skydio recommends not flying over flat water...

Reactions: Lifeisfun
Thanks
I hope they will work on this since summer is on it's way and I'm sure there will be lots of drones in the drink if they don't.
Never had problem flying Spark over water, it performed like a champ!

I have flown The Skydio2 over water several times over bluffs, beaches, and tide pools off of the California coast and have had no problem. I was using a controller to capture landscape shots and was not letting it autonomously fly itself. I also was staying clear of obstacles and careful to not put it too low over the water. I was also mindful of the Skydio’s limited range compared to my other drones.

Flew over a large still pond a few times with no issues. Was using the controller.

I have flown The Skydio2 over water several times over bluffs, beaches, and tide pools off of the California coast and have had no problem. I was using a controller to capture landscape shots and was not letting it autonomously fly itself. I also was staying clear of obstacles and careful to not put it too low over the water. I was also mindful of the Skydio’s limited range compared to my other drones.
Flew over a large still pond a few times with no issues. Was using the controller.

Thanks for reply, how the drone behaves when you get lower over the water surface?

Just in case you haven't seen this video:

It's Billy Kyle with his Skydio2. He is having it following them in a car with water all around, and I think the Skydio gets confused and flies directly into the water. Just my opinion, but I think the Skydio saw a reflection in the mirror-like water and aimed for it. That's why Skydio says not to fly over still water.

Just in case you haven't seen this video:

It's Billy Kyle with his Skydio2. He is having it following them in a car with water all around, and I think the Skydio gets confused and flies directly into the water. Just my opinion, but I think the Skydio saw a reflection in the mirror-like water and aimed for it. That's why Skydio says not to fly over still water.
Yes, seen that, what I find strange about that explanation is that it should be fairly easy for the drone to determine what is up and what is down so why would it think that sky can be located below since it can't fly upside down?

I've flown over the ocean manually, over a lake chasing a kite surfer in autonomous mode and over rivers. It got VERY close to the water in autonomous mode, so I set the minimum distance to 8 feet. Have not had any issues.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
I've flown over the ocean manually, over a lake chasing a kite surfer in autonomous mode and over rivers. It got VERY close to the water in autonomous mode, so I set the minimum distance to 8 feet. Have not had any issues.
That's great, boating season around the corner here and I'm pretty nervous take it on the boat.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup