Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Has anyone gotten Skydio2+ to work in Europe?

Yeah microwave can be used as a Faraday cage but you can build a Faraday cage with thin foil, it's easy.
That was my solution for put the Skydio 2+ in a neutral environment with no radio background interference noise.

knowing this all, who gonna send apology flowers to Skydio for blaming them as they geofence us ? :)

knowing this all, who gonna send apology flowers to Skydio for blaming them as they geofence us ? :)
I'me Guilty of that :rolleyes: but it's kinda of geofencing Isn't it?
They said that they have plans to open the market for Europe so why build a drone that can't be scalable to work ouside USA?

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
I'me Guilty of that :rolleyes: but it's kinda of geofencing Isn't it?
They said that they have plans to open the market for Europe so why build a drone that can't be scalable to work ouside USA?
I finally managed to make it work. Very painful process...

With a Wifi channel scanner and after a hard reset following Majority steps outlined in this thread, I could start to see the SSID in the scanner. However, I was not able to connect with my phone.

By switching off/on the drone, I noticed that everytime it turns on, it changes slightly the 5 GHz wifi channel used. I managed to connect with my phone when it was on channel 146 and put inside the microwave oven (acting as Faraday cage).

That way, I was able to install the firmwate update through the Skydio app. Still, after the update I had to switch on/off several times until the drone went back to channel 146.

The update allows you to change the Wifi channel from Auto to Manual. Without the update, only option available is Auto, so your back to the above problem.

I changed to channel 40 in Europe which doesn't require an interference check by regulation, so SSID is always on.

With that, I'm able to connect every single time, including beacon and controller.

Issue is that in Auto channel, the drone will power up from channels 146-156, which in Europe require an interference check. Usually in most Euro countries the drone will find a radar signal and then will shut down the SSID as per regulation, so you will not be able to find the wifi.

Skydio should have known this and programmed a way to automatically go down to lower channels, which don't require this check.

By going to a lower channel, the drone will typically face more noise from other nearby wifi access point, so I assume the range could be reduced.

Its night now, so I haven't been able to fly to test range. Will try to do tomorrow and report back.

Hope the above is helpful.

Hey guys. so mine is working now as well and is fully updated. I will do a first flight tomorrow. It seems the simplest/quickest way is to :

1) Stick the Skydio 2+ in a Microwave (turned off and unplugged)
2) Turn on your phone's Wifi and you should see the SSD show up!
3) Open the app and install the latest update. The latest firmwire update deals with the issue and the drone is now broadcasting the SSD anytime.

I'll report back with a first flight tomorrow lunch time. Delta one over & out!

.microwave3.jpg

I finally managed to make it work. Very painful process...

With a Wifi channel scanner and after a hard reset following Majority steps outlined in this thread, I could start to see the SSID in the scanner. However, I was not able to connect with my phone.

By switching off/on the drone, I noticed that everytime it turns on, it changes slightly the 5 GHz wifi channel used. I managed to connect with my phone when it was on channel 146 and put inside the microwave oven (acting as Faraday cage).

That way, I was able to install the firmwate update through the Skydio app. Still, after the update I had to switch on/off several times until the drone went back to channel 146.

The update allows you to change the Wifi channel from Auto to Manual. Without the update, only option available is Auto, so your back to the above problem.

I changed to channel 40 in Europe which doesn't require an interference check by regulation, so SSID is always on.

With that, I'm able to connect every single time, including beacon and controller.

Issue is that in Auto channel, the drone will power up from channels 146-156, which in Europe require an interference check. Usually in most Euro countries the drone will find a radar signal and then will shut down the SSID as per regulation, so you will not be able to find the wifi.

Skydio should have known this and programmed a way to automatically go down to lower channels, which don't require this check.

By going to a lower channel, the drone will typically face more noise from other nearby wifi access point, so I assume the range could be reduced.

Its night now, so I haven't been able to fly to test range. Will try to do tomorrow and report back.

Hope the above is helpful.
Thanks for your report, this was exactly what I found.
Skydio needs a better automatic channel switcher, maybe in the next firmware update they will fix this, meanwhile stay on channel 40.

Hey, stop this!

We are together here to find a better way with the Skydio drone but not blaming!

Am going to email the CEO tomorrow. He's been very helpful. One day after my email, they had a fix available on their app. I guess they are still figuring out how to deploy this, at least for us, the microwave route did the trick!

there is a geolocation problem. now they have made a new firmware 15.11.33. I'll try with an android phone of a few euros like Asus zenfold m2. there is a fake gps procedure.

Why do you think it could work with an unlocked US phone?
I suspect the problem is in the drone's GPS. When it powers on and detects its not in the US, it doesn't advertise its wifi. That is why we are not able to do initial set up and that is why I suspect they need to activate with the drone in the US and why they suggest we would need to ship back the drone to them
there is a geolocation problem. now they have made a new firmware 15.11.33. I'll try with an android phone of a few euros like Asus zenfold m2. there is a fake gps procedure.

I don’t there is a geolocation issue and clearly not with your phone. Since the fix (see above) I’ve been testing and flying the drone and it works perfectly fine

Reactions: skydiopilot9
Guys I just came back from the park. The bird was flying nicely. Tested the Beacon, the remote controller and everything. I did forget to extend the antenna, need to remember that but overall, it performed as it should!

Guys I just came back from the park. The bird was flying nicely. Tested the Beacon, the remote controller and everything. I did forget to extend the antenna, need to remember that but overall, it performed as it should!

do you ever have any problems? did you fly the skydio2 +? Piou give some more info? thank you

do you ever have any problems? did you fly the skydio2 +? Piou give some more info? thank you
I had no problems. It flew perfectly. I used the Microwave approach to get an SSD and then updated the drone. Then after that, I sync'd the remote controller and the beacon. I only used the remote controller for flying, am hoping for better weather to try the beacon with my bicycle as well as play with the Keyframe. I've emailed the CEO as well to let him know it's all good and I used the microwave as a work around.

Hey guys. so mine is working now as well and is fully updated. I will do a first flight tomorrow. It seems the simplest/quickest way is to :

1) Stick the Skydio 2+ in a Microwave (turned off and unplugged)
2) Turn on your phone's Wifi and you should see the SSD show up!
3) Open the app and install the latest update. The latest firmwire update deals with the issue and the drone is now broadcasting the SSD anytime.

I'll report back with a first flight tomorrow lunch time. Delta one over & out!

.View attachment 727
Nothing. No SSD on my phone

There isn’t a fake gps app for iPhone
Did you do the following?

1. Turn on your Skydio 2+ and quickly put it in the microwave and close the microwave door (like within a second of powering it on)

2. Turning on your phone and look for an SSD.

When Skydio 2+ is devoid of any GPS, it will broadcast the SSD. Can you try that and report back?

Edit, maybe your microwave doesn't block GPS effectively. Can you try with a family friend's Andriod phone?

Reactions: Paolo
Did you do the following?

1. Turn on your Skydio 2+ and quickly put it in the microwave and close the microwave door (like within a second of powering it on)

2. Turning on your phone and look for an SSD.

When Skydio 2+ is devoid of any GPS, it will broadcast the SSD. Can you try that and report back?

Edit, maybe your microwave doesn't block GPS effectively. Can you try with a family friend's Andriod phone?
I'll try again tomorrow. But I don't have an android phone. Does the procedure you did with the microwave also include fake gsp on the android phone? I think not. I will let you know as soon as possible. thank you .

I'll try again tomorrow. But I don't have an android phone. Does the procedure you did with the microwave also include fake gsp on the android phone? I think not. I will let you know as soon as possible. thank you .
I didn't do anything beyond just turning it on and sticking it in the microwave. Mind you before that, I did do a full hard reset as per your instructions earlier in the thread. That's the only thing I did, then turned it on quickly and into the microwave. Don't give it time to figure out where it is, you need to put it in right after you press the turn on.

Reactions: Paolo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UpAboveVisuals