Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Hello from Milford, Massachusetts

dgamari

Reaction score
I'm currently flying a Mavic 2 Pro, and have been (the same one) for 3 years now. I'm a Section 107 Certified pilot, and I use my drone primarily for real estate photography and videography. I'm also a motorcyclist who enjoys heading out on backroads to beautiful locations around New England on photo/video expeditions. I always pack my Mavic 2 but have been not flown it in any capacity other than LOS for still photos, primarily because I don't trust the obstacle avoidance. So I'm very close to purchasing 2nd drone, a Skydio 2+ specifically for my moto expeditions, based upon its autonomous capabilities.

I expect most of the time when I put the Skydio up in the air for autonomous flight, there won't be any powerlines. I'm careful to watch for them. But I'm wondering how good Skydio is when it comes to avoiding powerlines. Can it see them and navigate above, below or around them?

Curious minds want to know. I'm looking forward to actively participating in this forum, especially when I have my new drone.

Lake Maspenock small.jpg

Welcome to the forum 👍👍

Reactions: Blue Bird
I expect most of the time when I put the Skydio up in the air for autonomous flight, there won't be any powerlines. I'm careful to watch for them. But I'm wondering how good Skydio is when it comes to avoiding powerlines. Can it see them and navigate above, below or around them?
I have an original Skydio. It generally picks up on thick power lines but they are often near thin wires so when it evades they Skydio can sometimes move toward worse danger. Thinner wires including cable, phone, fencing, and guide wires are a real no no. There are a few crash videos that can be found on Youtube involving those types of obstacles. Thin bare branches are another thing to avoid.

I have an original Skydio. It generally picks up on thick power lines but they are often near thin wires so when it evades they Skydio can sometimes move toward worse danger. Thinner wires including cable, phone, fencing, and guide wires are a real no no. There are a few crash videos that can be found on Youtube involving those types of obstacles. Thin bare branches are another thing to avoid.
Update: I bought my Skydio 2+ yesterday afternoon, the Sport package (includes the wand thingie), and I bought the controller separately. Thank you for the heads up regarding powerlines and thin branches. I'm looking forward to flying it.

Reactions: BTCI
Welcome from another MA, motorcycle riding, S2 packing, picture taker. Am just up the road from you in Grafton.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spad