Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Part 107 pilots beware, Skydio is NOT your friend

VEGASROBBI

Reaction score
Guess I’m confused. Like any follow drone I (you) remain PIC (Pilot in command). I constantly direct my S2 with the beacon or controller, the OA and following is great but I always remain PIC.

I can only think this technology will enhance 107 Pilots with better safety; in addition the follow mode can be turned off.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
As far as the FAA is concerned if you don't have complete control of your aircraft 100% of the time you're not compliant with Part 107 or recreational flying rules for that matter either.

Since the S2 actually takes control away from you when it detects an obstacle in the flight path, the S2 could quite possibly encroach in the airspace of manned aircraft or fly over people in the process.

That's currently unacceptable as far as the FAA is concerned...

LivinLarge

Reaction score
As far as the FAA is concerned if you don't have complete control of your aircraft 100% of the time you're not compliant with Part 107 or recreational flying rules for that matter either.

Since the S2 actually takes control away from you when it detects an obstacle in the flight path, the S2 could quite possibly encroach in the airspace of manned aircraft or fly over people in the process.

That's currently unacceptable as far as the FAA is concerned...
This is true of any drone with obstacle avoidance that does more than just stop in place. This is also true of any drone which is flying wayoints.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Yup.... hence the BIG problem down the road for such drone owners when the FAA begins to flex its muscles.

VEGASROBBI

Reaction score
Sounds like a catch 22, DJI, Skydio, Autel... all have OA to avoid obstacles so you are not in control 100% of the time; henceforth, this article should not be directed at one particular manufacturer.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Agree... but its interesting that ONLY Skydio data was used in the article.

Odds are that the other companies just believe that "now" is not the time to challenge FAA wisdom.

Rich Z

Reaction score
Website
www.faunaclassifieds.com
Some attorneys that I know just love that descriptive term.
I wouldn't mind seeing some attorneys flex their own muscles and challenge the self presumed FAA's authority over our national and personal airspace. My guess is that there isn't any.

For instance what rights to property owners have over the airspace directly above their property? Probably unlimited unless the US Constitution granted the US Government any authority over any of it. Which as far as I know, doesn't exist.

But what do I know? I've never played an attorney in a movie, or even slept at a Holiday Inn Express. :)

Reactions: Starz

VEGASROBBI

Reaction score
Drones have a big future. With delivery companies like Amazon, search and rescue, law enforcement, real estate... jumping in there needs to be an authority to regulate there use.

I'm not sure the FAA is it; maybe a new branch or authority with special knowledge of drones. It's going to be complex integrating this new entry into the current airspace.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoBZ00