Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Potential Skydio 2+ purchase question about Sony IMX577 sensor.....

Interesting thanks for the feedback on the ND filters. I'm guessing that the higher the number the darker the lens?.....In what situation would someone need a ND8,16, & 32? Would that be for filming in the snow or something highly reflective?

Interesting thanks for the feedback on the ND filters. I'm guessing that the higher the number the darker the lens?.....In what situation would someone need a ND8,16, & 32? Would that be for filming in the snow or something highly reflective?
The more serious filmmakers typically want to keep the shutter speed to twice that of the fps (i.e. 1/48s for 24fps) to create a more cinematic video, with slight blurring between frames. Without NDs, your videos will be very sharp because of the high shutter speed, especially with bright daylight. For instance, with my Mavic 2 Pro, I regularly used ND32 during daytime. But it really depends on what your intent for capturing the Skydio video -- most probably don't need them and most YouTube viewers probably can't tell the difference.

That said, the Freewell ones look good if you decide to get them. I like the magnetic mount over the screw-on ones.

Here’s my question, a low light Camera for a Drone that won’t fly at night! What’s the use?

Well the drone is incapable of flying at night for reasons that are obvious with the current autonomous technology that the drone currently possesses (for the public anyway).

But I have read situations that the drone would not take off early in the morning around sunrise and late in the evenings during sunset.

I was curious as to whether a better primary sensor with a larger aperture I.E. a 1.9 for example would gather the available light better and possibly allow the drone to fly in the edge cases where someone still would want to capture something akin to that environment during those particular times when light isn't as plentiful for the current Sony IMX 577 sensor.

Maybe it's not possible with the current 6 4k cameras on the drone which are used to gather data for the autonomous flight algorithm 🤔

The Skydio will fly at sunrise and sunset out of the shadows, also able to fly 15-20 minutes after sunset ( under clear skies ) one time, but I kept her close at hand, tinkering with them is fun to see what they are capable of, only way to learn, but night flying is a risky endeavor anyway even with drones designed for it.

Interesting and good to know that you were able to fly 15-20 min after sunset! I can just imagine how many scenarios that I would want to use this drone for and it would be close to sunset for some cinematic videos.

I do weddings and real estate, so I can already see how I would use it. Why do you think it wouldn’t help?
Wedding isn't aerial filming. Send drone to the ocean to film coastline for example. How keyframe will help here?
It's only for close objects and nothing more. With that being said I can take long selfie stick and use go pro for 10x lower price for wedding or so.

Last edited:
Wedding isn't aerial filming. Send drone to the ocean to film coastline for example. How keyframe will help here?
It's only for close objects and nothing more. With that being said I can take long selfie stick and use go pro for 10x lower price for wedding or so.
Dude, knock your socks off -- if you hate the Skydio that much, get a DJI or whatever that works for you. You're not going to hurt my feelings. I've already checked out keyframes and can see how that can work for me, but that's not the only reason I got the Skydio.

Interesting and good to know that you were able to fly 15-20 min after sunset! I can just imagine how many scenarios that I would want to use this drone for and it would be close to sunset for some cinematic videos.
Check out this guy doing exactly this
. I can't imagine shooting with less light than what he did.

Reactions: MileHi_Skydio
Check out this guy doing exactly this
. I can't imagine shooting with less light than what he did.
Yea good video, I remember seeing that video about a year ago.

So he flew the drone manually with the controller and showed that it can handle certain low light situations if you mess with the frame rate, shutter speed and maybe ISO.

My question is can the Skydio 2+ fly in autonomous mode via the beacon in these conditions? Are the 6 cameras that are used for autonomous positioning for accident avoidance able to handle these type of low light conditions like what was shown in this video?

Yea good video, I remember seeing that video about a year ago.

So he flew the drone manually with the controller and showed that it can handle certain low light situations if you mess with the frame rate, shutter speed and maybe ISO.

My question is can the Skydio 2+ fly in autonomous mode via the beacon in these conditions? Are the 6 cameras that are used for autonomous positioning for accident avoidance able to handle these type of low light conditions like what was shown in this video?
These tiny sensors probably get pretty noisy starting at ISO 800, and you probably don't want frame rate below 1/48s, so even if you can fly in these conditions, you may not like the footages.

I think the camera quality is great for what this drone is made for - subject tracking in good light. If you're looking at something to primarily use for photos or videos in low light, then go with something else. For active tracking, I'll take the inferior image quality of the skydio over my Autel evo 2pro any day of the week. Videos are sharp and quality is overall really good for what it's meant for.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that someone referenced that the camera module in the Skydio2/2+ is the same as the R1. I think the big difference between the two would be the image processing. Up until today I had no idea that they were the same sensor because files from the R1 look pretty bad IMO whereas my 2+ files come out really clean with the right amount of saturation and contrast which makes them perfectly usable right off the SD card.

I think the camera quality is great for what this drone is made for - subject tracking in good light. If you're looking at something to primarily use for photos or videos in low light, then go with something else. For active tracking, I'll take the inferior image quality of the skydio over my Autel evo 2pro any day of the week. Videos are sharp and quality is overall really good for what it's meant for.
I took the plunge and ordered the drone to evaluate. Actually it got delivered yesterday and I just haven't had time to open up the drone yet and mess around with it yet.

I wouldn't say my primary use cases will be low light situations, but was just specifically curious about the autonomous tracking of the drone in those edge cases when not piloting the drone manually with the controller.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that someone referenced that the camera module in the Skydio2/2+ is the same as the R1. I think the big difference between the two would be the image processing. Up until today I had no idea that they were the same sensor because files from the R1 look pretty bad IMO whereas my 2+ files come out really clean with the right amount of saturation and contrast which makes them perfectly usable right off the SD card.
That very well could be the case🤷‍♂️.....maybe the processing has improved from the R1 to the current R2+? Did the chipset change between the R1 and R2?

That very well could be the case🤷‍♂️.....maybe the processing has improved from the R1 to the current R2+? Did the chipset change between the R1 and R2?
Yes it did change. The R1 used the NVIDIA Tegra Jetson (TX1), and the S2 uses the Tegra Jetson (TX2). I remember the CEO touting the more powerful SOC (system on a chip) in the S2 over the R1 in a video a couple of years back.

It's the video processor that was changed between the R1 and the SD2 along with the tegra. The recorded video isn't processed in the tegra it's farmed out to a video specific processor (one of the 7 separate processors on the drone) The tegra does process all 7 streams for OA purposes but it's not what you see in the recordings.

Can't tell you which one it is though

i-ZxDD7JL-XL.jpg
Early on SD put out a block diagram with some info about the use of the Tegra CPU and the how the other processors interact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayrrr