Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio support's response on Remote ID

Addos

Reaction score
Skydio consumer and enterprise drones will be Remote ID compliant by the required FAA deadlines (September 2022 for manufacturers and September 2023 for operators). Skydio will enable Standard Remote ID compliance through software updates. No hardware modifications will be required. That applies to Skydio 2, Skydio 2+, and X2E.

For background, the Remote ID rule contains two key deadlines. First, manufacturers must begin making Remote ID-compliant drones by September 2022. Second, operators must begin using Remote ID-compliant products by September 2023 unless flying in an FAA-recognized identification area (a new term that refers to recreational flying sites). Skydio will comply with both deadlines.

We will continue to keep our customers informed of our approach to Remote ID and other regulatory developments. This link contains the FAA’s overview of remote ID for operators: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/

Does this mean older drones that no longer receive updates will have to have a drone I'd module installed?

Does this mean older drones that no longer receive updates will have to have a drone I'd module installed?
Might just be easier to buy a drone with remote id support. But the only other non skydio 2 drones skydio made was the r1. And that wasn't widely sold. I have one, but the skydio 2 is much nicer in general compared to the r1.

I have a 2+, but was just thinking of my cheaper drones. No matter, I doubt anyone cares in rural Kansas.

Maybe it's a typo and the second 2+ should have been just 2? It did seem a little weird. Does your serial number look like it falls into the range specified in the detailed entry?

I didn't look. Since I saw two entries each for the X2E and the 2+ IImade the assumption they had some reason for doubling up like that. I'll have to look for a possible match tomorrow. I'd love for you to be right 😀

For all others before Sept 2022, there is a statement on skydios web site:

"Skydio Drones produced before September 16, 2022

Skydio drones produced before September 16th, 2022 are not impacted by this change and will not be required to broadcast a Remote ID until the operator requirement comes into effect in September 2023. Skydio anticipates enabling Remote ID on drones produced before September 16, 2022 by means of a simple software update (and label) with no hardware changes required. In the coming months, we will share more details for customers with non-Remote ID-enabled drones."

On the same page further down in the article there is some hidden info in the text, about the ANSI Serial Number. This is something that I do see in my control APP right now, for my Skydio 2. My assumption is that you can see it too in yours as this is present at least in the Oct 2022 and Jan 2023 firmware updates.

1674106306243.png

I'm hoping it shows up on their list soon...

• Skydio 2 drones are no longer actively manufactured. If your Skydio 2 drone is repaired or replaced, it will not have Remote ID enbled when it is returned to you.
  • Skydio anticipates enabling Remote ID on drones produced before September 16, 2022 by means of a simple software update (andlabel)--with no hardware changes required.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaimejcornado