Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Somewhat disappointed

TonyPHX

Reaction score
As much as I love the tracking on the Skydio, why they don't include basic features like zoom and other things for non "subscribers" I just don't understand. This is reportedly a very capable platform that is just crippled it seems.

TonyPHX.

I'm new to Skydio 2 so am experimenting with the new vehicle to try to understand it's apparent limitations and how to work around them if possible. Currently at the stage where I'm not completely comfortable with OA and autonomous flight although I'm getting there :). So as such I try to keep the drone at a "medium" distance so I have some time to react. Most of the "tracking" footage I have is from above my head level (result of height floor being enabled) and me being a comparatively small figure to the background - not the type of footage I'm ultimately after.

I was also surprised to discover the drone doesn't have a zoom function. I'm curious about your "subscriber" comment, does that mean the "corporate version" of the software has a zoom feature?

Without a zoom capability I think I will have to turn off the height floor AND bring the drone in closer to "simulate" zoom in.

I have experimented with using the controller in NON tracking mode to see how close I can bring it towards me while standing still - intimidating (or perhaps stupid :cool:) to intentionally fly a drone at your face but the OA stopped it about 3ft away and would not get closer no matter what stick inputs I gave it. In tracking mode that "minimal" distance is significantly farther away as I believe the drone needs that additional space to compensate for the tracked subject getting "too close".

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyPHX
TonyPHX.

I'm new to Skydio 2 so am experimenting with the new vehicle to try to understand it's apparent limitations and how to work around them if possible. Currently at the stage where I'm not completely comfortable with OA and autonomous flight although I'm getting there :). So as such I try to keep the drone at a "medium" distance so I have some time to react. Most of the "tracking" footage I have is from above my head level (result of height floor being enabled) and me being a comparatively small figure to the background - not the type of footage I'm ultimately after.

I was also surprised to discover the drone doesn't have a zoom function. I'm curious about your "subscriber" comment, does that mean the "corporate version" of the software has a zoom feature?

Without a zoom capability I think I will have to turn off the height floor AND bring the drone in closer to "simulate" zoom in.

I have experimented with using the controller in NON tracking mode to see how close I can bring it towards me while standing still - intimidating (or perhaps stupid :cool:) to intentionally fly a drone at your face but the OA stopped it about 3ft away and would not get closer no matter what stick inputs I gave it. In tracking mode that "minimal" distance is significantly farther away as I believe the drone needs that additional space to compensate for the tracked subject getting "too close".
Yes, I believe that Zoom is available with their additional software offer, but I cannot verify that. I'm just sitting here thinking this thing is good for tracking only. So yeah, I'm keeping it, but I many not be investing in future Skydio product.

Reactions: ETdronehome
I just did a bit of Googling and found this. So your assumption seems correct in that zoom is possible with the “right” software running. I can understand why they would want to sell the superzoom capability but it is a little odd to NOT have a simple front camera zoom in the “normal” app as it certainly seems like the hardware is capable.

Yep. I paid for the hardware, and not can't use it until I pay some more. Just to zoom. : (

The only way it could possibly zoom would be to fly closer, it doesn't have a zoom lens. In my opinion digital zoom is pretty useless, picture quality suffers. You can do that on your computer again at quality loss.
If you fly with the controller it does have a zoom that makes the drone fly closer to whatever it is tracking.

Yep. I paid for the hardware, and not can't use it until I pay some more. Just to zoom. : (
The drone has been out for 2 years, there's no shortage of information and reviews describing it's capabilities. It's obvious by your posts that you didn't take the time to research it enough before putting your money down and now want to blame your mistake on the company. If that feature was so important that the drone is unusable it's pretty obvious who's to blame here.

Take responsibility instead of blaming it on Skydio.

Reactions: skydioconvert
The drone has been out for 2 years, there's no shortage of information and reviews describing it's capabilities. It's obvious by your posts that you didn't take the time to research it enough before putting your money down and now want to blame your mistake on the company. If that feature was so important that the drone is unusable it's pretty obvious who's to blame here.

You are a rude guy eh?

Not mean at all and there's nothing rude about that post. This isn't a DJI and you're not the first DJI owner to come on here bitching about the SD not having this capability or that. You're expectations are based off their product, not this one. On top of that your disappointment could have been easily avoided by just reading the SDs features. Just because you didn't do your homework you feel the need to let the rest of us who have been likely flying this drone allot longer then you how its "Crippled" and "Unusable". It's badmouthing the product because you apparently made a mistake. That's kind of rude to the rest of us. I doubt you see SD owners posting on to the DJI forum to ***** about the fact that their dji is stuck in a tree and because of that it's crippled or unusable.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgilbertsen

Agree 100%.... those "NOT" doing their homework have only themselves to blame when it comes to understanding differences in Skydio drones. There's been ample discussion here to point out differences.

I doubt you see SD owners posting on to the DJI forum to ***** about the fact that their dji is stuck in a tree and because of that it's crippled or unusable.
I did🙂 They can't handle the truth you get banned or your posts are deleted. I find this forum very lenient when it comes to trolls and Phanboys.

The reality is the S2 is a different kind of drone. It's not about how far or how long it can fly it's about high performance tracking. I have a P1, P3P, P4, Mavic Zoom... all collecting dust on a shelf while my S2 does all the work.

Don't get me wrong the DJI drones are very good at what they do but they don't do what the S2 can do.

If one does their diligence up front it is apparent what the strengths and weaknesses of each drone are. I wouldn't purchase a DJI drone for tracking just like I wouldn't purchase an S2 for long distance.

And RF it is annoying to see the S2 get bashed due to lack of understanding.

I get being a brand ambassador but the way some talk to others here is telling. I was expressing disappointment. I did plenty of due diligence, missed one feature that I wrongly expected, but I am not a child. Honestly, this really turns me off to the community, not the product.

You are a rude guy eh?
Apparently!
I did🙂 They can't handle the truth you get banned or your posts are deleted. I find this forum very lenient when it comes to trolls and Phanboys.

The reality is the S2 is a different kind of drone. It's not about how far or how long it can fly it's about high performance tracking. I have a P1, P3P, P4, Mavic Zoom... all collecting dust on a shelf while my S2 does all the work.

Don't get me wrong the DJI drones are very good at what they do but they don't do what the S2 can do.

If one does their diligence up front it is apparent what the strengths and weaknesses of each drone are. I wouldn't purchase a DJI drone for tracking just like I wouldn't purchase an S2 for long distance.

And RF it is annoying to see the S2 get bashed due to lack of understanding.
On the other hand over here, my Skydio 2 sits on the Shelf and my DJI Zoom 2 does most of the flying here! I even have the Controller, Beacon and other accessories like Handlebar Stands for the Controller-go figure! But even my original Mavic Pro can Zoom!

My Anafi can zoom, look straight up and down so it must be better than both.

My Anafi can zoom, look straight up and down so it must be better than both.
lol. Wow. For the record, I really do enjoy the S2. I am dissappointed in the lack of zoom, but despite the commentary to the contrary, I do take responsiblity for my purchase. (lol, not sure where that came from....)

Anyways, I think this entire thread is off-putting to me as apprarently I should have never dared to express disappointing in my experience with the S2. Also, full disclosure, I am not as experienced with the Skydio brand as others. The investment was minor to get the S2 Cine kit, and I figured I would learn some things along the way, which was always my intent. The assumption that I must know everything about it before purchasing or commenting is interesting as everyone started somewhere. In any event, I do enjoy it.

Reactions: Ridefreak

I, too, agree with you. People need to take caveat emptor to heart, research the product carefully and then adjust their expectations accordingly. Doing your homework and/or reading the manual beforehand is fundamental.

I, too, agree with you. People need to take caveat emptor to heart, research the product carefully and then adjust their expectations accordingly. Doing your homework and/or reading the manual beforehand is fundamental.
And part of wanting a great product to get better is to help advise where improvements and changes should be made. I was not stating consumer fraud where I felt decieved....

Guys, this is not a case of somebody not accepting "responsibility". It looks like you guys have been abused by forum comments attacking something that is near and dear to you. Apologies if my expression of dissapointment over a single missing feature has helped you leap to this conclusion. : )

And part of wanting a great product to get better is to help advise where improvements and changes should be made. I was not stating consumer fraud where I felt decieved....

Guys, this is not a case of somebody not accepting "responsibility". It looks like you guys have been abused by forum comments attacking something that is near and dear to you. Apologies if my expression of dissapointment over a single missing feature has helped you leap to this conclusion. : )
OK, you felt deceived and others of us didn't. You might consider figuring out why, Personally, I knew what I was and was not getting going in. You apparently didn't. As for us being "abused" on a forum, that's about the the most absurd conclusion I've seen someone reach in quite a while.

OK, you felt deceived and others of us didn't. You might consider figuring out why, Personally, I knew what I was and was not getting going in. You apparently didn't.
I think you are not reading slowly or carefully enough. GSRider, I said - "I was not stating consumer fraud where I felt decieved...."

I think this is circular. I made a feature comment. Nothing more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup