Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

what phone should i use?

pbacksport

Reaction score
i want to get a phone ONLY for dedicated flying the 2+. i tried to search and there's not much here. i contacted skydio and they recommended an ipad mini 5 or "something newer".

what do you use? i'd prefer iOS but android is fine too.

thanks! i should have been a little more descriptive in my post// i'm not looking to spend more than $100 since it'll just be used for flying. i'm a hobbyist.

I used my retired Android phone for the dedicated drone flight operations. And, it works very well.

The cost is 0.

And, here is the requirements of the Skydio App for your reference:

iOS
Check the App Store for compatibility with your specific device.
Device must be running 64-bit iOS 12.0 (or higher)
iPhone 6 (or higher), iPad Air (or higher), iPad Mini 2 (or higher)
NOTE: We're investigating an incompatibility between iPad Air (4th gen) and Skydio Controller and will update this list ASAP.
Minimum space on device: ~500mb

Android

Check Google Play for compatibility with your specific device.
Device must be running Android 9.0 (or higher)
NOTE: We're investigating an incompatibility between Samsung Galaxy 8 and Skydio Controller and will update this list ASAP.
Minimum space on device: ~500mb

awesome! i have a 6s hanging around. glad to see that'll work.

can't wait to get started with this thing. i'm upgrading from a dji mavic mini i've had for a few years

thanks! i should have been a little more descriptive in my post// i'm not looking to spend more than $100 since it'll just be used for flying. i'm a hobbyist.
no problem. except i would say using an iphone 6 to fly the s2+ is going to suck.

no problem. except i would say using an iphone 6 to fly the s2+ is going to suck.
is that because it's too old? not bright enough? i'm open to expanding my budget a little bit.. maybe an ipad mini or galaxy tab or something would be better?

is that because it's too old? not bright enough? i'm open to expanding my budget a little bit.. maybe an ipad mini or galaxy tab or something would be better?
i would fine the screen to be not big enough and not bright enough. the skydio is not the cinematic drone but it still takes nice video so i would want to be able to clearly see where i am and what video i'm taking. i prefer tablets if not the nicer phones.

Using Skydio as a tracking camera is the best way to go.

In this case, an iPhone 6 should be good enough.

At least, my retired Android phone works very well.

Enjoy the flight and enjoy your life. ✈️

Thanks again! It's actually a 6s plus with the larger screen and good brightness. I imaging it'll be OK for now. Drone coming Tuesday so excited

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
I personally use my Surface Duo 2 which is awesome.

But would a tablet work? That sounds like the best way. I'm not a fan of most of today's smartphones because they're all getting skinny tall. I hate that narrow aspect ratio. The Galaxy Fold devices sound great but they're so delicate and expensive.

I personally use my Surface Duo 2 which is awesome.

But would a tablet work? That sounds like the best way. I'm not a fan of most of today's smartphones because they're all getting skinny tall. I hate that narrow aspect ratio. The Galaxy Fold devices sound great but they're so delicate and expensive.

Using a too modern smartphone is not a good idea.

I heard many cases that galaxy folding phones are not compatible with Skydio.

Share here and pls check and confirm it before investing in a new smartphone.

1647818362899.png

I haven't used the Fold phones with Skydio, but it works well with my Surface Duo 2. So "not supporting" doesn't necessarily mean "doesn't work". What "not supporting" usually means is they want to reduce liability and narrow the scope of customer support. They don't have the manpower to test every phone out there.

That said, I do use my Surface Duo 2 in single screen mode. If the app let me control the orientation, then I would use it in dual-screen mode. But it doesn't. When I use it in span mode, it autorotates to the other mode and stays locked. I don't have a phone holder that can support my phone in the orientation that the Skydio app wants which is why I use it in single screen mode.

maiden flight today. iphone 6s+ works just fine for me; image is clear and bright

wow this thing is neat. it tracked my son running around the yard and through the neighbors yard in between a lot of leafless trees totally unscathed and produced very nice video. that is unbelievable technology

🤔...interesting I have the Galaxy Fold 3. Hopefully I don't have any issues with the app when I download it?

Ran in to my first compatibility issue tonight. Updated my skydio app on my new Moto G Stylus 5G 2022, updated SD2+, updated beacon, then controller.

That's when I found my issue. The Moto G Stylus 5G 2022 doesn't seem to see the controller. Prior to this evening I'd never used this phone with the skydio.

Phones I have used successfully are the Moto G6, and the Moto G Stylus 2020(although I will verify it sees controller but I'm 99% certain I've had them connected).

Verified Moto G Stylus 2020 works. Tried the 5G 2022 version again. It's almost like a flakey connection, I could get it to connect fiddling with cable slightly, but any movement and it would flash up to reconnect and/or constantly recalibrate. It's a brand new phone so I doubt the USB c is bad. Haven't used anything but the skydio short cable.

Last edited:
Just FYI,

As of this software update, an iPhone 6 will no longer work. I've been using one with no issues, but the new skydio software requries a newer OS than the iPhone 6 can run. I had to move up to an iPhone 8.

I had an iPhone 6 and it did suck. Display was too weak, screen too small and flying could quickly drain the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup