Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Camera frame rates

nelsongoforth

Reaction score
I tried changing my camera to 60fps for slow-motion. The video seems to come through with 60fps in metadata, but there is no slo-mo effect...all motion seems pretty normal.

My experience is working with a Red Dragon and with a Panasonic GH4, and frame rate changes seem to work very straightforwardly there. Is there something I'm missing? I don't find anything in the User Guide.

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

I just got my Skydio 2 recently and haven't even flown it yet. But I'm an accomplished photographer and hobbyist videographer.

For your video editing software, you're setting your sequence at 24 fps or 30 fps? To achieve slow motion, you need to set your sequence at a lower frame rate than your recording. That said, 60 fps to 24 fps doesn't cause a dramatic slow motion. For dramatic slow motion, you really need to record in 120 fps or higher.

I tried changing my camera to 60fps for slow-motion. The video seems to come through with 60fps in metadata, but there is no slo-mo effect...all motion seems pretty normal.

My experience is working with a Red Dragon and with a Panasonic GH4, and frame rate changes seem to work very straightforwardly there. Is there something I'm missing? I don't find anything in the User Guide.

Thank you, and Happy New Year!
The 60FPS means it's taking 2x as many shots of the scene, to get the slo-mo benefit of that you have to slow the clip down during editing. 60FPS itself really has noting to do with slo motion, it just provides 2x as many shots which allows you to make that footage slo-mo later without having a picture that jerks every frame. 60fps will allow you to slow it down to 50% with not apparent effect on quality. Everything I film is in 60fps since I never know ahead of time what I might want to slo-mo.

Reactions: richinAZ
60FPS itself really has noting to do with slo motion, it just provides 2x as many shots which allows you to make that footage slo-mo later...
With my Red camera I set a project base rate, say 23.98 or 29.976 fps, and then import (say) 60fps footage, which just falls in and gives me slow-mo on the 24fps timeline. Since there doesn't seem to be a base rate with the Skydio, guess I have to set it in the Premiere timeline. Yes...shooting 60fps full-time just makes sense if there's no sync. Working with that now. Thank you.

I set the project settings to the same frame rate as I shot the video in which for me is always 60fps then I reduce the speed of the individual clips that I want slow motion. I've never tried it the way you describe with my current editing program but when I've done that (shot at 60, compiled @ 30) with the other editing programs it still played back at a normal speed. I assumed they all did that; adjust the video during compilation to play back at normal speed. I suspect the program was dropping about every other frame to accomplish that. All else being the same it sounds like Premier looks at the SD video differently then the video from the red camera.

there are so many videos on the Internet to describe what to do.

here is a good one:

the basic gist is if you want slow motion, you have your timeline at a slower framerate than your footage. you don't want to use the rate stretching or speed/duration features because you are decimating frames. it will work and it will look decent, but it won't be the buttery smooth slow motion. instead, you want to use the interpret footage option and choose the "assume framerate" option and set all your clips to your timeline.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup