Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Smooth Mode???

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
This is a response from SD regarding a problem I was having with the drone drifting off subject while following.

" Check your Skill Settings while flying in Motion Track and Fixed Track to see if you have Smooth Mode enabled (a new feature with the latest release)."

Dong some research this feature was in the May 2, 2023 update. Details below. I have yet to see this (or I'm missing it in the app) Anyone got details on where to find smooth mode?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
UPDATE INFO

NEW​

AutoCrop​

When creating a clip in the Skydio app, you now have three options for cropping your video:

• Original (16x9)
  • Vertical (9x16)
  • Square (1x1)
CS_S2P_media_UI_autocrop.png

Read How to create and share video clips with Skydio 2/2+ for detailed instructions.

ENHANCEMENTS

Subject Tracking Improvements​

We've introduced a number of updates to Skydio autonomy that improve overall quality and reduce latency while tracking a subject.

Shuffle

Introducing Shuffle, a new setting for the Motion Track Flight Skill. When selected, your drone will autonomously pick a new position and orientation from which to follow the tracked subject.

• Position changes every 15 seconds
  • Located under Follow Direction within the Skill settings

NOTE: While the position and orientation are chosen randomly, Skydio will continue to identify and avoid obstacles in the environment.
Smooth Mode

By default, your drone will capture footage with smoother camera movements when tracking a subject, even if the subject is changing direction quickly and frequently (such as when skiing or biking).

• Available when flying in Fixed Track or Motion Track
  • Toggle off within the Skill settings
CS_S2P_media_GIF_smooth_mode.gif

Improved Visual Framing

To avoid suboptimal shots, such as top-down views with the ground prominently in frame, Skydio will now ensure the horizon is kept in the top third of the frame while flying.

• Default elevation is now 9°
Increased Descent Speed

Through speed improvements, we have further amplified your ability to capture dynamic and impressive shots. Skydio will fly faster when descending at an angle during Fixed Track, Motion Track, or KeyFrame flights.

• Oblique descent speed: 35 mph (16 m/s)
  • Vertical descent speed: 9 mph (4 m/s)

I was curious about this too - I normally fly Beacon only when I'm doing any sort of solo shoot and I don't recall seeing it anywhere so I just did a test flight with the Controller

When you selecta subject to do motion track or fixed track on the lower left there are the toggle sliders

select that brings up this menu and you can see Smooth Mode is toggled on by default

under Follow Direction you can change it to shuffle randomly at intervals

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Ridefreak
I was curious about this too - I normally fly Beacon only when I'm doing any sort of solo shoot and I don't recall seeing it anywhere so I just did a test flight with the Controller

When you selecta subject to do motion track or fixed track on the lower left there are the toggle sliders

select that brings up this menu and you can see Smooth Mode is toggled on by default

under Follow Direction you can change it to shuffle randomly at intervals
Thanks Paul, I may go out today and fly some more. And see if I can bring it up and hopefully test it some. The changing position feature sounds interesting.

I have not looked into this option yet, but in Smooth Mode, does the Skydio fly smoother or records vids smoother ?

I have not looked into this option yet, but in Smooth Mode, does the Skydio fly smoother or records vids smoother ?
I'm not sure which but I was having a filming issue when using the beacon where when tracking, the subject would turn and the drone was late to update the subject's new location often resulting in the subject leaving the screen to one side or another. After 3 or 4 seconds it corrects and it centered again. There's always been some of this but rarely would the subject leave the picture as frequently as it seems to now. According to the SD tech and some of what Vegasrobbi found out this new smooth mode should help with that.

To me it seems to be a new issue that arose from one of the updates.

I took my drones out for a spin yesterday, with controllers and devices and just the devices alone using both Skydio software apps available, I tried both Tracking Skills, I do not see the Smooth Mode anywhere, not even the AutoCrop feature.
I did delete the Apps and downloaded them again , still nothing.
Not a big deal to me, but yeah, some of you would benefit from the Smooth Mode. IDK :unsure:

Reactions: Ridefreak

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UpAboveVisuals