Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Flying into 2024, What would you like to see

BlueHeeler

Reaction score
in the next Skydio S2/2+ Firmware Update ?

Since we have not seen one since August ?? I would like to see on a consumer level the ability to toggle the Proximity Obstacle Avoidance from standard to close proximity like
6-8 inches which is currently available on the Enterprise Software ( $$$ ). Standard is 26 inches, Close is 6 inches, Minimal is about 2 inches ( that's an Observance from me ) and Disabled.
I have had this for the past year and it's expiring soon, I do not intend to renew since I don't have the justification at this time, it's a really nice feature for flying indoors though.

I don't think disabling it completely is a good idea unless one is really good at the controls, but then again incidents happen to the best of us.

So, what's on your mind ?

A method for disabling this remoteid garbage without having to disassemble and reverse engineer it.
I'm coming closer to a solution for it, at least, so that's something.
The thing is a paperweight, until i can disable it completely.

If it weren't for that, the 2+ would have been a fantastic little piece of hardware.

It is a fantastic piece of hardware. Not sure about yours but on all skydios built before sept 16 2003, the RID has zero effect on the drone's flying, it's just a one way notification beacon that transmitted in the drone's flying area.
It doesn't prevent operation in any way other then to prevent any flight until it detects it's transmitting the RID signal.

Don't let that annoying RID law get in your way, it obviously wasn't meant for you. And discussing disabling it on a public forum is a excellent way to help the sport grow and let the feds know where to start looking.

Edit: skydios built before sept 16 2023

Last edited:
It is a fantastic piece of hardware. Not sure about yours but on all skydios built before sept 16 2003, the RID has zero effect on the drone's flying, it's just a one way notification beacon that transmitted in the drone's flying area.
It doesn't prevent operation in any way other then to prevent any flight until it detects it's transmitting the RID signal.

Don't let that annoying RID law get in your way, it obviously wasn't meant for you. And discussing disabling it on a public forum is a excellent way to help the sport grow and let the feds know where to start looking.
Ridefreak,

I know you meant to type in Sept 16, 2023 ;)

I only have the Skydios manufactured before that date, they fly in controlled airspace with no issues, but of course I request LAANC to fly. I have no knowledge of the newer drones having the RID module installed that actually blocks one's ability to launch ( if that's the case ) I do have one of those DJI drones with the GeoFencing in its software, which is a big pain in the butt to me. :mad:

FoamieNinja,

I hope you are able to resolve your issue whatever that may be, I would suggest you contact Skydio to fix your issue or verify that indeed the RID is keeping you grounded, I have yet to come across GeoFencing Issues in the Skydio thus far.

Reactions: Ridefreak
:(
Seems like this Forum has been a Ghost Town since Skydio drove a stake through the heart of the consumer market, even with the update last week ( for Bugs ).

I flew 3 20min flights last week, the SD2 worked like a charm, if it continues to fly like this I'm a very happy camper. (y)

I did notice something I hadn't before, I left the beacon turned on while I powered down the drone for a battery change (twice) and it reconnected automatically to the drone and pretty quickly. I forget what the beacon said, something like Preparing the Drone and it said to push the SD button to fly. Obviously it came along in one of the updates but it would never do that for me before and I've tried a couple of times over the years.

Reactions: BlueHeeler

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UpAboveVisuals