Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

KeyFrame: What's the big deal?

I tried a basic few keyframes several weeks ago just to understand better how it works. Seemed ok but as other have reported the pattern was always the same but actual track was off by a good 10 ft or so when repeating back and forth. Still -- it's a pretty cool feature and I hope they will improve it.

BUT today I tried building a new set of keyframes, saved them, and ran them forward/backward a few times, etc. I subsequently landed the Skydio (back on the box), shut-down, swapped a fresh battery, took off again, and used the "experimental feature" to reload my prior keyframe path. As soon as I loaded the keyframe, the skydio flew very fast in the opposite direction (and in no relation to the keypath I had previously saved). It hit a thin tree branch and dropped to the grass. Thankfully with no damage or scrapes/bruises.

I powered it on again, checked everything over, and launched from the same position as where I had created the keyframe (never moved the box). Attempted to reload the prior keyframe and the skydio flew again very fast in the wrong direction. I was ready this time and quickly stopped the keyframe... and then noticed the purple keyframe line on the application screen which bore no resemblance to what I had created previously.

Are there best known methods for attempting to repeat a keyframe after swapping a battery?

For me, I will adjust the speed a little bit after swapping the battery and reloading the mission.

However, you've done it very carefully and I don't think there is much room for improvement.

Hadn't previously read all the comments here: Technical discussion about the new KeyFrame skill

Based on the feedback of other users, I likely caused the problem by using a different orientation on takeoff. While I used the same launch point every time, the first time I launched with the drone facing towards me. All other times I launched with the drone facing away.

The skydio must take-off from the same launch point in the same orientation and ideally the first keyframe is near the launch. This was likely the root-cause for my skydio to veer in the complete opposite direction.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
Hadn't previously read all the comments here: Technical discussion about the new KeyFrame skill

Based on the feedback of other users, I likely caused the problem by using a different orientation on takeoff. While I used the same launch point every time, the first time I launched with the drone facing towards me. All other times I launched with the drone facing away.

The skydio must take-off from the same launch point in the same orientation and ideally the first keyframe is near the launch. This was likely the root-cause for my skydio to veer in the complete opposite direction.
Since Skydio does not have a compass, it does not know what direction it is pointing until it moves some distance. Its heading is calculated from change in GPS position.

Reactions: Ridefreak

Good to know it. Thanks for sharing.

Just retried keyframes again this evening. Took-off and landed from the same place AND in the same orientation. Was able to reload prior keyframes after swapping a battery and they worked as advertised. My keyframes were all within a few hundred feet of the landing zone and each-other but seemed to work well and consistently this time. ...so my prior keyframe reload problem was very likely related to taking off in a different orientation (from the same spot).

Reactions: Sky Cyclist

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES