Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

New Update Was A Big Mistake

gsrider

Reaction score
I installed the new update today and found the interface changes a little confusing. It kept asking me to check for an update and when it came back OK, it would ask again and an endless loop. Somehow, I got out of that loop and got it into the air for a quick test. The flight worked OK but it it will no longer make a USB connection with the computer to download the video. When I make the USB connection to the computer, the drone just hisses like a snake, doing repeated connects and disconnects with the computer. Cant get it to stop and can't download video or pictures. Basically the drone is unusable at this point. The first update was flawless. This update was a mistake.

Reactions: AnyNameYouWish
I installed the new update today and found the interface changes a little confusing. It kept asking me to check for an update and when it came back OK, it would ask again and an endless loop. Somehow, I got out of that loop and got it into the air for a quick test. The flight worked OK but it it will no longer make a USB connection with the computer to download the video. When I make the USB connection to the computer, the drone just hisses like a snake, doing repeated connects and disconnects with the computer. Cant get it to stop and can't download video or pictures. Basically the drone is unusable at this point. The first update was flawless. This update was a mistake.
Not that its a complete solution but you should use a card reader and the MicroSD card to transfer your files. It doesn't burn drone batteries and should be a solid work around for your update issues.

I would consider the direct connection to the drone for downloading the workaround, I always download files directly off the card at about 25% faster than off the drone. The difference adds up if there's 4 or 5 flights.

I don't think they used a very fast micro to USB interface in the sd2.

I would consider the direct connection to the drone for downloading the workaround, I always download files directly off the card at about 25% faster than off the drone. The difference adds up if there's 4 or 5 flights.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I have ordered a card reader. Thanks.

Reactions: Ridefreak

In addition my S2 gets warm/ hot during the download process, maybe that’s why the fan runs now.

In addition my S2 gets warm/ hot during the download process, maybe that’s why the fan runs now.
When downloading via USB prior to this recent update, mine never got hot nor made any (fan) sound.

I'm surprised you guys are using direct connection to download. I just use SD Card reader. Faster and simple. I envision accidently catching USB cable, send drone to the ground and boom it's broke. Maybe it's just me and I'm super clumsy. I'm pretty good at accidently catching cables and sending things to the floor.

Reactions: David DB50
I'm surprised you guys are using direct connection to download. I just use SD Card reader. Faster and simple. I envision accidently catching USB cable, send drone to the ground and boom it's broke. Maybe it's just me and I'm super clumsy. I'm pretty good at accidently catching cables and sending things to the floor.
Direct connection seems much faster and easier than fishing the SD card out of the drone, putting it into a card reader and then plugging the card reader into a USB port on the computer. By the time it takes to get the card out of the drone, I can have the direct connection made.

Direct connection seems much faster and easier than fishing the SD card out of the drone, putting it into a card reader and then plugging the card reader into a USB port on the computer. By the time it takes to get the card out of the drone, I can have the direct connection made.
Yes but the Skydio has to be powered on, transfer speeds are slower and you are wasting battery cycles. I timed ejecting the card, putting it in the card reader and mounting it on my MacBook at under 20 seconds.... you can't touch that time with direct connection unless attaching the USB cable to a computer immediately after a flight while the Skydio is still on.

You make it sound like it's an involved process, takes about 10 seconds to pull the card out (no fishing required) and insert it into the computer which is already powered up since you're getting ready to transfer files. You'll waste much more time than that waiting on the slower USB transfer rate of the drone. Why power up and heat up the drone to do something the computer does noticeably faster? I also film at the same time with a GoPro which is the same deal, I could transfer by plugging into the camera but the 3.0 card reader does faster.

If that's your preference have at it but it's slow compared to what a computer is capable of.

My drone stuff tends to be spread out on the carpet in my office when I'm charging and getting ready to film the next day and I worry about the same thing. That would suck to jack up the drone when you weren't flying it.

Last edited:
I always pull the SD card and put it in a card reader directly into my computer. I'm not lucky enough to have carpet in my office so when I do drop it it's pretty obvious.

My HP Omen has about eight USB slots some upload much faster than others.

You make it sound like it's an involved process, takes about 10 seconds to pull the card out (no fishing required) and insert it into the computer which is already powered up since you're getting ready to transfer files. You'll waste much more time than that waiting on the slower USB transfer rate of the drone. Why power up and heat up the drone to do something the computer does noticeably faster? I also film at the same time with a GoPro which is the same deal, I could transfer by plugging into the camera but the 3.0 card reader does faster.

If that's your preference have at it but it's slow compared to what a computer is capable of.
Funny thing is, I don't pull SC cards out of my cameras either. Just make a quick USB connection, hit the return key and walk away or go do something else (I like to multi-task). I will be downloading before you ever get your SD card into the reader. Just saying. :)

You obviously have a process that you're comfortable with, My initial response was to your complaint that the drone now makes noise when the fans run as you download and I offered you an alternative that was both quieter and faster by significant margin. If that doesn't appeal to you then I guess you're stuck with the fans running.

Reactions: VEGASROBBI
I always pull the SD card, it's easy, not like my Anafi.

I pull the card for several reasons:

My S2 powers up and gets hot during the download.
I remove the gimbal clamp which is always a PITA.
I find when using the correct USB port on my PC the SD card uploads faster.
I don't like continual use of a USB port on a item, they tend to wear out.

In any case to each his own, both ways work.

For me, this update just went from not all that good to terrible. Below is the update I just sent to Skydio support.

Today when I went out to video a 1700s era house, the drone would not launch, either with or without the controller. Bringing up the app on the iPhone and pressing FLY arrow brings up the Skydio image and blue Customize WiFi button and you can't get out of that. Pressing Customize WiFi brings up Connected with Ver. 15.10.17 and a blue "Check for Update button with no way out. Pressing Check For Update brings up the message "Software Up To Date". Pressing OK takes you back to the "Check For Update" again. Pressing the back arrow makes the screen go blank. Bottom line, the drone will not launch and is, thus, currently unusable. Also, the app says it has no media when ithe SD card really does.

Update: To their credit, Skydio support has been in contact with me this week and last suggesting things to try. Unfortunately, everything they have suggested thus far hasn't worked, including factory reset of the drone and reloading the app. Given that the drone cannot make a USB connection or recognize that it has media when you make a WiFi connection through the app, I am inclined to think the drone is, for some reason, broken. It has never crashed, been dropped or had a bad landing. Up to this point, Skydio 2 was a dream aerial camera for me.

Update: To their credit, Skydio support has been in contact with me this week and last suggesting things to try. Unfortunately, everything they have suggested thus far hasn't worked, including factory reset of the drone and reloading the app. Given that the drone cannot make a USB connection or recognize that it has media when you make a WiFi connection through the app, I am inclined to think the drone is, for some reason, broken. It has never crashed, been dropped or had a bad landing. Up to this point, Skydio 2 was a dream aerial camera for me.
Sounds like it's stuck in a SW loop, likely the update scrambled something. I suspect you'll be getting a new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup