Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

New Update Was A Big Mistake

Sounds like it's stuck in a SW loop, likely the update scrambled something. I suspect you'll be getting a new one.
There is almost no doubt something's scrambled in the drone itself. Given how Skydio Support is currently unable to find a solution for my current kit, I hope you are right about a replacement. I have missed a good number of aerial photo opportunities and am looking forward to having a drone again. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Sounds like it's stuck in a SW loop, likely the update scrambled something. I suspect you'll be getting a new one.
Skydio support came through. It seems the problem was with the drone and, you were correct, they're sending a new one.l Kudos to TJ and Skydio!

I got an email that they looked further into the logs during my crash and going to replace the beacon also. I don't see how the beacon could cause that to happen but I'm not the expert.

Reactions: gsrider
Interesting, the wand feature of the beacon allows you to drag the S2 up and down. Maybe bouncing around on the cycle caused the beacon to fall and command it down?

Interesting, the wand feature of the beacon allows you to drag the S2 up and down. Maybe bouncing around on the cycle caused the beacon to fall and command it down?
I don't think thats the case, reason I think this has nothing to do with the beacon is when you see it falling in the video, it's not running, more like someone turned the power off mid air. Anything is possible though.

The Yuneec Typhoon, Parrot Anafi and Phantoms did a similar"fall from sky" when batteries disconnected in flight. I don't think the magnetic battery suffers from this. Was the battery secure after the crash?

Skydio Support Comes Through: I just received notice that my replacement S2 will ship today. I do appreciate their taking time to look into the problem instead of just sloughing off or or sending a replacement without understanding the cause. I am assuming they're smart enough to now understand and fix the cause.

Good to hear. I sent a quick comment to support regarding the app/beacon issue. I think they know there is an issue with certain combinations. They requested this:

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Skydio 2. In order to move forward, we'd like to collect a little bit of background flight data to help us learn more about the issues you've described. Please follow these quick steps:

1. Open the Skydio 2 app and connect to the Skydio vehicle WiFi network as you would normally.
2. Tap Info (in the lower right corner of the app).
3. Tap Flight Logs.
4. Tap Upload Single Flight.
5. Select your most recent Skydio 2 flight (or one that best illustrates the issue) and follow the steps provided in the app.

If you were flying with Beacon only, we will need to collect the flight logs from your Beacon. Please follow these instructions:

1. Power on the Beacon.
2. Open up the Skydio 2 app and connect to the Beacon's WiFi network. The network name and password are located on a sticker on the backside of the Beacon.
3. Tap Info (in the lower right corner of the app).
4. Tap Flight Logs.
5. Tap Upload Single Flight. This should show you available flight logs and prompt the Beacon to begin downloading flight logs to the app.

Note: iOS users will have to leave the Skydio 2 app and connect to an available WiFi network to complete the upload process. Optionally, you can choose to upload over your cellular network if no WiFi network is available.

If you could also provide these details, that will help us better triage the issue:
  • The serial number of your Skydio 2 (same as the WiFi network you connect to, so "Skydio2-xxyy" or similar)
  • Method used to fly (Skydio 2 App, App+Beacon, Beacon only, or Controller)
  • Make, model, & operating system of phone used (example: "iPhone 11, iOS 13.4.1" or "Samsung S8, Android 9.1")

Please note, we will need to review your videos/flight data to help us determine the root cause of the issue. Once you've had a chance to upload your logs, please give us a quick reply with the details listed above so that we know you're ready to move forward.

Operating on the bike never bothered it before but who knows with the new update, The fallout from this update can't have helped them, it sounds like they are replacing allot of drones. I would have been fine without that last one. Glad to see they took care of GSRider

Good to hear. I sent a quick comment to support regarding the app/beacon issue. I think they know there is an issue with certain combinations. They requested this:

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Skydio 2. In order to move forward, we'd like to collect a little bit of background flight data to help us learn more about the issues you've described. Please follow these quick steps:

1. Open the Skydio 2 app and connect to the Skydio vehicle WiFi network as you would normally.
2. Tap Info (in the lower right corner of the app).
3. Tap Flight Logs.
4. Tap Upload Single Flight.
5. Select your most recent Skydio 2 flight (or one that best illustrates the issue) and follow the steps provided in the app.

If you were flying with Beacon only, we will need to collect the flight logs from your Beacon. Please follow these instructions:

1. Power on the Beacon.
2. Open up the Skydio 2 app and connect to the Beacon's WiFi network. The network name and password are located on a sticker on the backside of the Beacon.
3. Tap Info (in the lower right corner of the app).
4. Tap Flight Logs.
5. Tap Upload Single Flight. This should show you available flight logs and prompt the Beacon to begin downloading flight logs to the app.

Note: iOS users will have to leave the Skydio 2 app and connect to an available WiFi network to complete the upload process. Optionally, you can choose to upload over your cellular network if no WiFi network is available.

If you could also provide these details, that will help us better triage the issue:
  • The serial number of your Skydio 2 (same as the WiFi network you connect to, so "Skydio2-xxyy" or similar)
  • Method used to fly (Skydio 2 App, App+Beacon, Beacon only, or Controller)
  • Make, model, & operating system of phone used (example: "iPhone 11, iOS 13.4.1" or "Samsung S8, Android 9.1")

Please note, we will need to review your videos/flight data to help us determine the root cause of the issue. Once you've had a chance to upload your logs, please give us a quick reply with the details listed above so that we know you're ready to move forward.
I an happy to hear they're working on your issue. They've a good product that has a great future if they get these bugs ironed out. Flying only with the controller and no beacon, I couldn't have been happier with the drone up until the update. Although slow due to backlogs and (probably) staffing and supply chain issues, the Skydio support on this has been far better than with of my good DSLR camera and other hi-tech gadgets, not to mention my camera/drone hauling motorcycle.

Back In The Air: Received replacement S2 this morning via FedX, went through the setup after lunch and am back in the air. The drone-to-computer USB link still doesn't work but I can live with pulling the SD card and putting it into a reader. Will trubleshoot that link later if possible.

Back In The Air: Received replacement S2 this morning via FedX, went through the setup after lunch and am back in the air. The drone-to-computer USB link still doesn't work but I can live with pulling the SD card and putting it into a reader. Will trubleshoot that link later if possible.
I also received my new drone and beacon yesterday. It required an update which surprised me since this recently came from the factory. There was a slip of paper telling me the drone requires an update and referenced the props;
"Use of these propellers requires an update for your drone's motor firmware"

Anyone notice a difference in the props? I couldn't tell but I haven't compared the props that came on the drone to the old ones.

After the update and setup I flew it out in the front of the house. The only thing I noticed strange was when I told it to RTH it started heading off somewhere else (where I don't know). I immediately cancelled the operation, flew it back and landed. I planned to take it out in the desert today and give it some training lol but it's only 12 degrees this morning.
I did my usual strap mod to the beacon. This has worked well along with a carabineer for attaching to stuff like a backpack strap or the motorcycle handlebars.

IMG_20211211_174217142_HDR-L.jpg

I also received my new drone and beacon yesterday. It required an update which surprised me since this recently came from the factory. There was a slip of paper telling me the drone requires an update and referenced the props;
"Use of these propellers requires an update for your drone's motor firmware"

Anyone notice a difference in the props? I couldn't tell but I haven't compared the props that came on the drone to the old ones.

After the update and setup I flew it out in the front of the house. The only thing I noticed strange was when I told it to RTH it started heading off somewhere else (where I don't know). I immediately cancelled the operation, flew it back and landed. I planned to take it out in the desert today and give it some training lol but it's only 12 degrees this morning.
I did my usual strap mod to the beacon. This has worked well along with a carabineer for attaching to stuff like a backpack strap or the motorcycle handlebars.

IMG_20211211_174217142_HDR-L.jpg
I've done 3 flight tests with the controller and am very pleased with the operation, including a flight though the trees and a perfect, autonomous landing on the case in gusty winds well above the recommended 25 mph limit. The only problem was RTH, which seemed to make the drone go crazy. Got to work on that one. Can't see any difference in the propellers (no update requested).

I went out today to my drone proving grounds and did 5 batteries worth of flights. It worked real well, the only thing I noticed was some gimbal shake, during editing I realized that happens when I forget to slide the beacon in it's little pocket on my backpack's strap, when that happens it dangles by the tether strap clipped to the backpack. Of course riding the bike causes it to move and bounce around, sometimes worse than others. I see a gimbal correction when that happens. No disconnects today, worked just like I'd expect/hope it would.

I'm pretty happy with SkyDio, they replaced a 2YO drone for free. It did fall out of the sky, still flew but it was a year out of warranty. I'm pretty sure they sent a new drone or else their refurbs look perfect.

Last edited:
Looks like the test was a success.

Was this with the Beacon plus the Phone?

And this was with the latest Software update (15.10 I think)?

YT usually indicates if the footage is 60FPS so I'm assuming this was shot or at least uploaded in 30FPS or less.

What is your opinion of the motion blur? Is that the type footage you prefer, something you intentionally set the cameras settings for?

I went out today to my drone proving grounds and did 5 batteries worth of flights. It worked real well, the only thing I noticed was some gimbal shake, during editing I realized that happens when I forget to slide the beacon in it's little pocket on my backpack's strap, when that happens it dangles by the tether strap clipped to the backpack. Of course riding the bike causes it to move and bounce around, sometimes worse than others. I see a gimbal correction when that happens. No disconnects today, worked just like I'd expect/hope it would.

I'm pretty happy with SkyDio, they replaced a 2YO drone for free. It did fall out of the sky, still flew but it was a year out of warranty. I'm pretty sure they sent a new drone or else their refurbs look perfect.

Great job with the test and am glad how well it worked out for you!

Looks like the test was a success.

Was this with the Beacon plus the Phone?

And this was with the latest Software update (15.10 I think)?

YT usually indicates if the footage is 60FPS so I'm assuming this was shot or at least uploaded in 30FPS or less.

What is your opinion of the motion blur? Is that the type footage you prefer, something you intentionally set the cameras settings for?
When I was setting this new drone up I didn't realize that I left the FPS at 30, I like 60 and usually film in that. I corrected it when I went back home, obviously too late. This testing was just with the beacon, I'm probably going to do some more this weekend and it will be the drone and the app connected which is my usual method. I don't have an opinion about motion blur except to add some in some to the occasional scene in a video for the speed effect. Here's an example. I prefer to film at a high frame rate because I never know what I want to slow down. Even a Pan shot from the drone when taken from high up looks kind of screwy to me at 30fps. I've been filming at 60 so long when I mess up like this and shoot in 30 it screws my editing up and I notice it right off. Unfortunately it's not the first time I've done that. This is with the latest software.

The issue with the beacon flopping around was a pretty big discovery for me, i've had issues with gimbal instability off and on forever, not sure why I'm just now discovering this but it's an easy fix and will definitely improve the video. Thanks for watching.

One thing I wanted to add, I filmed 5 flights yesterday and left the beacon on the entire time, when I finished it was 50 percent power, the other thing that I noticed was that I would power off the drone, slap in a new battery, power it back up and the drone would become ready allot sooner then my typical method of shutting everything off and starting over powering everything up. It saved allot of time for me.

Last edited:
One thing I wanted to add, I filmed 5 flights yesterday and left the beacon on the entire time, when I finished it was 50 percent power, the other thing that I noticed was that I would power off the drone, slap in a new battery, power it back up and the drone would become ready allot sooner then my typical method of shutting everything off and starting over powering everything up. It saved allot of time for me.

That's good to know. That's essentially a "hotswap" scenario. I'm kinda surprised to hear that worked.

I have always left the beacon on during battery changes with no issues and it does speed up the reboot time.

That's good to know about the beacon I tend to treat it carefully when flying. Even though it doesn't send a command to the drone while flying unless the button is pushed, the S2 is still using it for GPS location for tracking purposes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup