Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio increasing the range?

Thanks very much for finding out and reporting what Skydio is doing to improve the range of the S2.

It's important to realize that if the WiFi range increase gets approved (i.e. how far out you can control the S2) the only downside you'll see is the quality of the video you see on your phone will be decreased.

The quality of whats recorded on the S2's memory card is NOT affected.

Reactions: Jetlag
Should this be in a different category? Like software mods

Hopefully it’s true.

I call BS, who starts these stupid rumors!

Actually, it's not BS, it is a reasonable conclusion based upon the FCC filings. I posted the original video that Mike references at the end of his. I go into detail what Skydio filed with the FCC and what it likely means. I am an Electronic Engineer and works for a company that builds wireless products. I know a thing or two about homologation testing (FCC, CE, etc.) as we go through that stuff with our own products.

Yes, my conclusions are a guess, but it is an educated guess based upon my own experience and knowledge of how Wi-Fi works. The only reasonable conclusion about what Skydio is doing with the FCC change request is to address distance issues.

Here is my explanation here....

[
did this Update already happen ? did it get cancelled ? update ! anyone...anyone......

Nope and doubt it will ever happen, the antennas on the vehicle suck.

Yes, by their CEO's admission, it's a hardware limitation.

Would have been nice had they taken the months of involuntary manufacturing downtime to redesign the Skydio 2's antennas.

Yes, that would mean an improvement over the products deliveried prior to the closure. But it's been nearly a year since most of those who received units before the closure placed their orders. That is more than enough time to justify an incremental upgrade.

On the topic, how hard would it be to modify the drone to add in some sort of external Aerial, like the X2 has?

Maybe a new modular battery with an integrated antenna that can extend range and endurance in one shot.

Any one interested in coming up to speed about S2 antenna design should just do a search for the keyword "antenna" in this forum.

As of today there are six (6) pages of posts scattered through out the forum with some good commentary about the S2 antenna.

I don't think the S2 was optimized for distance, it's intended purpose was an action follow drone.

I agree the marketing is off and if you want 3+ mile range I would look elsewhere. In follow it's rare for me to get more than 1,000 ft. out so the S2 works fine.

If Skydio wants to get serious with inspections and search and rescue they need to step up the range but I don't think that will happen with the S2. The ability to avoid obstacles beyond LOS is huge.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
You need a hardware modification for that can't be done by the end user.
uh well not with that attitude, anyhow, haha. Dremeling a small hole and soldering a few wires isn't exactly difficult. Maybe I can get a snap shot of the circuitry to see where the existing stuff is. Add a connecter to the outside.

I have my doubts that the pins of the battery (drone side) can be rerouted by the software to be antennas .
The thought is the battery contains the 2.4 receiver and better antenna then connects wirelessly to the onboard WiFi like the beacon.

Also, I would pay to send mine in for some type of upgrade.

The thought is the battery contains the 2.4 receiver and better antenna then connects wirelessly to the onboard WiFi like the beacon.

I've never heard of something like this before, but it's technically possible. Do you have any evidence to support this, or purely conjecture? If this were the case, we could easily tie into some of those pins.

My gut leans towards no drone manufacturer building extra stuff into the batteries for no reason.

Reactions: richinAZ

I think is safe to say there is zero chance they will do anything about it.
Shame on them with the advertised range.

Reactions: richinAZ
I think is safe to say there is zero chance they will do anything about it.
Shame on them with the advertised range.
Could not agree more. Yes of course, the die-hards will chime in that the drone is "not intended for range," but that's silly, since it's exactly what they advertised it for.

It would be like buying the new electric Hummer GM just released, and giving them a pass that the advertised range of 500 miles ended up only being 150, because it's "not intended for range," but rather for off-roading. haha

My goal as an individual would be to improve this range, with or without the help of the manufacturer. The controller mod DOES help, but I think the real gains are on the drone side of things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup