Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

What causes the spot in all my skydio 2 videos?

MeadowLark McLemon

Reaction score
Ive noticed they all have this dark spot you see at 7 o'clock. It's been like that since day one. I never crashed or abused this UAS. But, there is no one else complaining about this. So, it must not be that common of a problem. Any Idea what would cause this?

Have not seen a similar reported "dark spot" like this in any of the other Skydio forums/websites.

Even with all the business closings because of the virus warnings, I'd still email Skydio and attach more than one video and still shot to show the problem

At least that way you'll be on record and get into a queue for when they reopen their facility.

Did you inspect the lens?
I did not inspect the lens until an hour ago. After a good cleaning the spot is still there. The lens looks fine. But, I'm no watchmaker either. Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. This corona thing is giving me fits. I'll report the matter to the skydio people and let you know what they think.

I did not inspect the lens until an hour ago. After a good cleaning the spot is still there. The lens looks fine. But, I'm no watchmaker either. Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. This corona thing is giving me fits. I'll report the matter to the skydio people and let you know what they think.
That's unfortunate, I'm sure they will take care of you once they will be able to ship again.

That's a definite problem with your camera, my Skydio2 doesn't have anything like that. Like @Lifeisfun said, contact Skydio and they should be able to swap/fix it for you.

Thank you all for your opinions and assistance.
After sending a picture of the lens, all the flight data and another video, Andrew from Skydio says this:
Andrew (Skydio)

Mar 30, 1:40 PM PDT

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the requested images as well. After reviewing the footage again with my supervisor, it almost looks like that could either be a dead pixel or dust that it inside the actual lens. I will bring this up to our engineers as well for review. It does look like it could be a quick fix though, if it is just dust or a dead pixel. I will reach out one the review has been completed.

If you have any other questions or concerns in the meantime please feel free to reach out to me.
Kind regards,
Andrew
Hey Paul,

Thank you for confirming that. I will let our engineers know and have them review the flight logs to determine what might be going on. Could you also provide a picture of the camera lens as well just for a visual?

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns in the meantime.
Kind regards,
Andrew

@Paul,

Nice of you to take the trouble to keep us informed of whats happening with the problem you reported.

To be honest I'm surprised something like this gets through whatever quality control review a new S2 go through before being sent out.

At least Skydio's reply time seems to be quick...

Here is the latest:
Andrew (Skydio)

Apr 1, 4:12 PM PDT

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this RMA process. Our engineers have analyzed the information provided and determined that we'll need to replace your unit. Moving forward, we'll be sending you a new unit with a return shipping label included in the packaging, which you can use to send back the current faulty one.

Please make sure to write RMA XXXXX on the outside of the packaging after you've boxed up your return so that it's easily identifiable upon delivery.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the meantime.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Here is the latest:
Andrew (Skydio)

Apr 1, 4:12 PM PDT

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this RMA process. Our engineers have analyzed the information provided and determined that we'll need to replace your unit. Moving forward, we'll be sending you a new unit with a return shipping label included in the packaging, which you can use to send back the current faulty one.

Please make sure to write RMA XXXXX on the outside of the packaging after you've boxed up your return so that it's easily identifiable upon delivery.

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the meantime.

Kind regards,
Andrew
Skydio continues to impress me regarding how above board they are in their warranty promises.

Good to know your in the queue for a brand new S2 once they reopen their plant.

I've got absolutely no regrets buying my S2 .... only wish I'd done it earlier.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
They sent me a new Skydio even though they say that they're not shipping any new orders. I can confirm the new one does not have the dark spot issue. Here is a video made with the new drone.

Reactions: Ridefreak
They sent me a new Skydio even though they say that they're not shipping any new orders. I can confirm the new one does not have the dark spot issue. Here is a video made with the new drone.
Good for you!
Congrats to Skydio on the great service!

0:44 ...for a second I thought that cop will confiscate your toy ....now that would go viral! :)

Glad it worked out for you.... interesting to hear that at least repaired units are beginning to get shipped again.

Did you get a new one or repaired one?

Last edited:
At 2:11 into your video, it looks like you stopped the mower for fear the drone would crash into the building. I think if you kept driving, it would have climbed over the building by itself to avoid the building. But I don't blame you for being cautious. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup