Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

What is under the hood :)

Did anyone ever attempt to supplant or replace the existing rear antenna with something a bit more long-range friendly? Losing link from turning 15 degrees even with controller mod isn't exactly fun.

Seems like they could have placed one flat panel antenna from the array outboard of each motor pod a’la Parrot Anafi. I believe that would have provided a better signature than being inboard of the electronics.

Seems like they could have placed one flat panel antenna from the array outboard of each motor pod a’la Parrot Anafi. I believe that would have provided a better signature than being inboard of the electronics.
Do you have access to any pic's showing the flat panel antenna arrays on the Anafi?

If there is similar room on the S2 arms its odd that Skydio never did some similar...

There is an antennae in each arm with a reflector behind it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (31).png
    Screenshot (31).png
    332.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: skydioconvert
Thanks VEGASROBBI.

Seems like something Skydio could also do with just a simple change to the injection mold for the S2 arm.

How they could fairly work the change into already bought S2's would be the challenge they probably couldn't feasibly do quickly though.

How they could fairly work the change into already bought S2's would be the challenge they probably couldn't feasibly do quickly though.

There's really no point in even thinking that way to give anyone hope, as much fun as it is -- it's something that only we could do as individuals. I'd love to find a way to replace the antenna array with perhaps a front/rear solution, without splicing or cutting, if possible. Find the right connectors, etc. This is far more feasible then, say, adding a USB-C LTE/Wi-Fi module.

I didn't realize it could be opened so easily. I'm curious if there's some sort of tamper indicator inside this thing.

I doubt SD will upgrade the vehicle. Similar to the 3DR Solo shortcomings a better GPS board was eventually implemented during production but it largely fell upon the consumer to update the Wi-Fi and GPS issues.

FWIW try the YT auto-translate to see a "rough" translation to English.

Not the most helpful way to pick up some points but a step in the right direction when sync'd with the video itself.

Differences in grammar and technical terms are the hardest things to get past.

I'm more interested in adding a flat ribbon cable through the casing to place an external aerial, not use the same crappy antenna as the Anafi.

Anafi’s range sucks despite those.
Didn't know that... kind of explains why Skydio didn't (and won't) probably do much to the current S2 Rx/Tx antenna design.

A better omni-directional antenna would help but I suspect that the S2 "mostly" needs a more powerful Tx to much improve range.

How do we define good range? I feel 10km, 6km..... beyond line of sight is of little use too me.

If you are expecting the advertised 3.5km I think that is fair; is that considered "acceptable"?

Do we define "suck" as the current S2 or most drones that do not match DJI's Occusynch or Lightbridge?

I have not run out of range with my S2 to date but I'm limited to the preset Follow distance. I have been out close a mile with my Anafi but that is the exception for me and not required.

I'm curious what guys expecting 10km+ are doing out there; rather than move closer to the subject and stay within the legal LOS?

INMHO, the current S2 owners out there complaining about the S2's range are complaining MUCH more about how Skydio's range has been falsely advertised than anything else. They feel slighted to have paid so much for a drone that falls far short of the advertised 3.5Km range.

If range was the primary reason they bought the S2 they're justified in complaining.

If on the other hand they most value unbeatable OA, odds are that they aren't happy about the falsely advertised range BUT not enough so to sell their S2.

Reactions: Cicada
Some good news for our vets....

P.S. Mistakenly added to this thread.... Can an administrator move to an appropriate thread?

Last edited:
At range, I would like to not see disconnects when turning the vehicle back towards home. It’s extremely lame. Meeting advertised range would be a good start.

Unofficial external antenna mods would like interfere with OA.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
At range, I would like to not see disconnects when turning the vehicle back towards home. It’s extremely lame. Meeting advertised range would be a good start.

And not to have choppy video feed should be mandatory,
pretty embracing how some people do range test and are not bothered by the choppy video.

Be fun to try but I agree with you that such a mod would likely do more harm than good.

It seems like one of the antenna arrays would’ve been better served in one of the front arms. I dunno.

I picked up the new Mini 2 last week, didn’t really need it but the specs were way too intriguing and it was on the shelf staring right at me. When I got home and unboxed it, it was so dinky and light, I thought it was a fake display model minus the internals. I thought I had been scammed. Nevertheless, It is the real deal.

I swear, this thing is using some form of black magic. I have no doubt the signal range exceeds battery endurance. Super solid clear connection as far as I’m willing to send it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the shell material and design are enhancing the signal reception, at the very least not inhibiting it.

Do I need to go that far, no? I have no business flying something that small I cannot see 10+ kilometers out. Obstructions at closer distances are greatly minimized and confidence I’ll remain in control are invaluable.

This tech is the competition, I hope Skydio can get there in future iterations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayrrr