Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Can you narrow the obstruction passthrough region?

Rich Z

Reaction score
Website
www.faunaclassifieds.com
Tried my hand with the "follow me" flying the other day, and found that the Skydio 2 got it's panties all in a wad trying to fly between some bamboo culms along my path. I measured the areas where it was choking up, and it looks like if the passthrough tunnel was less than 5 ft, side to side, it didn't much care for it and would just balk at moving forward. It may have been 5 ft horizontally too, but I really didn't pay much attention to that. Man, what a scaredy cat! It actually seemed to do better when I used the controller and talked to it nicely to coax it along. :)

Any way to narrow that avoidance range in any way? I mean, how wide is the actual width of the drone, prop tip to prop tip? Seems like 5 ft is being a mite bit overly conservative about it. I would like to walk this thing through my bamboo groves, but it doesn't seem likely with this restriction in place.

Wishful thinking that there is any sort of setting like that available?

in the customer app skydio has 36 inch diameter of 'protective sphere' and in the Enterprise App it can be narrowed to 16 inches with a significant reduction of speed (9mph max, manual flight only). You can submit feature request to support of skydio - I've already submitted similar and more of us upvoting it, more probable it will be somehow implemented.

they didn't respond to any of 12 tickets I submitted except one (but were quick on it only)

I did get a response from Skydio on 01-20, but it basically said something to the effect that gee, I had discovered the limit on gap size for the Skydio 2 to fly through. It is not able to be altered in the app, but my feedback will be forwarded somewhere...... :/

I measured the areas where it was choking up, and it looks like if the passthrough tunnel was less than 5 ft, side to side, it didn't much care for it and would just balk at moving forward. It may have been 5 ft horizontally too, but I really didn't pay much attention to that.
Help me out. 5' side to side is same as 5' horizontally. Did you mean vertically?

I am wondering if S2 would try to go up and over something low thats in its way. Anyone get S2 to do that? There would have to be a limit on how much it would try to divert (vertically and horizontally) or we'd never see our drones again.

Help me out. 5' side to side is same as 5' horizontally. Did you mean vertically?

I am wondering if S2 would try to go up and over something low thats in its way. Anyone get S2 to do that? There would have to be a limit on how much it would try to divert (vertically and horizontally) or we'd never see our drones again.
It doesn't do that, usually it flies right over stuff smoothly if thats an option, especially when it's going fast(er), the drone is looking out further ahead. If it gets congested and it gets caught up in tall trees, it will stop and hoover as you ride away, the trick is to realize when that happens. The only time I've seen it fly off is when it locked onto another subject and that person departs. We were riding on the motorcycles today, two of us riding close together and it locked onto the other rider half a dozen times. Not a big deal we were going the same way. I had the beacon attached to the bars and was able to test some stuff. When it locks onto another subject, even if it's flying away at a high rate of speed, all you have to do is push the blue button on the Beacon and that will home the drone back onto the beacon. Now that I've been able to test this function out I plan to use in when there's multiple subjects.

Reactions: dmac1
It doesn't do that, usually it flies right over stuff smoothly if thats an option, especially when it's going fast(er), the drone is looking out further ahead. If it gets congested and it gets caught up in tall trees, it will stop and hoover as you ride away, the trick is to realize when that happens. The only time I've seen it fly off is when it locked onto another subject and that person departs. We were riding on the motorcycles today, two of us riding close together and it locked onto the other rider half a dozen times. Not a big deal we were going the same way. I had the beacon attached to the bars and was able to test some stuff. When it locks onto another subject, even if it's flying away at a high rate of speed, all you have to do is push the blue button on the Beacon and that will home the drone back onto the beacon. Now that I've been able to test this function out I plan to use in when there's multiple subjects.
Great info! I didnt think it would do much to go around/over cuz it got stuck on my property behind some trees, but it would required a significant diversion and I just went back, hence my uncertainty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup