Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio 2 Follow Me

I'm pretty sure you can turn the camera off and on. In the app there's a setting for automatic filming. With that on any time it's in the air it's recording. With it off you have to tell it through the app to start and stop, red button at the bottom.
Someone posted that when the camera is set to manual record it won't start recording when using the Beacon.
And there is no record button on Beacon, have not verified this but kind of sucks.

Someone posted that when the camera is set to manual record it won't start recording when using the Beacon.
And there is no record button on Beacon, have not verified this but kind of sucks.
I would suggest connecting the app to the beacon anytime you fly with the beacon. Not only do you have the full functionality of the app if you want including turning the camera on and off, the app is also recording the drone's last known position so if it gets lost you have something to help find it. Also if the drone gets into a sticky spot you can pull the phone out and fly it manually out of the situation which isn't easy sometimes with only the beacon.

I saw a video where the guy turned off the auto record in the app then flew with only the beacon and recorded no video.

I will connect my iPhone for the additional features, then try the controller to see if it overcomes some of my concerns. it appears the controller with the app will allow more control but it would be nice to step up the Beacon.

Much better with the controller and tablet, I can put the S2 where I want it unlike the pre-programmed parameters using the Beacon.

Two concerns I hope Skydio will address. First I can't get the S2 down where I want it. Even with the 8 feet setting off I am holding full down stick here and the SD2 usually flies between 10-20 feet, again looking down at me rather than at me. It's odd but at times if I turn or change speed the S2 will come down where I want it then rise back up again. In the following videos you can see how Anafi will hold 3-5 feet AGL; my guess is this is a safety feature which will benefit the majority of users.

Second some of the moves are very abrupt, the orbit speed is really fast and when close in it causes some gimbal shake, you can see this in the following videos. I don't think there is a problem with the gimbal I think Skydio needs to slow down and smooth out the smart moves(or give the user more control) to match the gimbal performance.

First video is with the beacon, second with controller. I will say if I were just floating around filming real estate or flowers this would be a fantastic drone with a good camera and great OA. Still needs a little fine tuning for the difficult sports follow but they're close.

Reactions: GarthH
Wonder if any other S2 owners are seeing the same height problem (tendency to not stay lower)?

Having to hold the stick down to try and keep it low sure seems to imply that there a defect somewhere in your S2.

Could have sworn I saw earlier S2 videos where follow me heights were much closer to ground level.

Could be, I noticed ther same behavior with both the Beacon and Controller. It definitely knows where the ground is because it terrain follows but drives itself up to over 10 feet; I'd like to know if others have the same issue?

Looking at your beacon video, when it's in front of the jeep over bare dirt it seems to stay pretty low but if it has to fly over any brush or if the jeep gets too close it rides up. That's similar to what I'm seeing. I would expect that for the scenes were it's decided the jeep is pretty close. I suspect based on the kind of obstructions it's encountering when flying away from the road, the OA wants it to fly higher, possibly they've programmed it so that in a ground brush situation to provide more clearance. If so that may be to help prevent crashes from the odd thin piece of brush that may extend about the surrounding brush. A telling test would be to run the same test on a dirt only area with no brush and see if it will stay low when off to the side. I also think the faster the subject is going the more conservative the OA is which doesn't surprise me. When I'm flying over varied terrain I see the similar altitudes.

I experienced the same thing you did with the gimbal, to me it appears to be a correction, I only see it when the drone is crossing the path of the subject, primarily where there's some speed and a large range of gimbal movement.

Watch 0:30 on the second video, I'm over flat dirt with the left stick full down and the SD2 is flying 10-20 feet. But I think your on to something, I notice if I slow down to turn or change angle it will come down. It makes sense the vision system adds a buffer above the brush but it shouldn't fly 20 feet over dirt unless it is taking vehicle speed into account.

As a comparison where you see Anafi flying a consistant 3-5 feet AGL it is using it's VPS system to hold that altitude; I am not touching the stick, essentially it is terrain following at 5 feet. It would be great if the SD2 could do the same.

I've got one area where I might be able to test the low alt flying on bare ground. I'll post it up if I can remember to run that test.

We had an Anafi along for one of our recent rides. I have to say I wasn't impressed, I found it to be slow, it progressively fell back while the SD2 was flying around objects 50' below it and keeping up, we probably stopped 4 times in a 1/4 mile. It eventually flew into a pinion tree and crashed but it wasn't damaged which was impressive. There may have been settings that improved the speed but I never operated it so I'm not sure, it was being used in the follow mode using the GPS in the phone. Its got an impressive flight time though. The difference is really glaring when the two are up at the same time trying to do the same thing. The Anifi isn't quite up to the task of chasing a MC across the desert but for the price it's a good drone. It's owner is kicking himself for not ordering a SD2.

Last edited:
Anafi's maximum speed is about 25 MPH and it has no OA. Flown manually in Follow at lower speeds it is impressive but certainly not up to the SD's speed or ability to avoid obstacles. One benefit of no AI or OA is you don't have to fight it but it is susceptible to crashing.

I usually use my Anafi in conjunction with my Typhoon(50 MPH) or Solo.

I could see where bringing 2 would give you some filming options. I usually have to carry everything on my back so that's out for me.

The learning curve is flatlining out with my S2, it seems to get better with each flight. I’m now comfortable leaving the S2 alone, it’s an odd but awesome feature not having to worry about obstacles.

A few things I learned:

Keep the camera lenses clean. Even if thy look clean dust and smudges matter. I find my S2 follows tighter when I wipe down the cameras before flight.

The faster you go the higher the S2 will fly. I can bring the altitude down by slowing down to get a tight shot.

Let the S2 do it’s thing, don’t fight it and constantly reposition. It’s like a woman with strong feelings on it’s path.

Learning to work with the S2 makes better and safer videos. Unlike many I haven’t had range issues and I’m getting over 20 minutes flight time.

A little more refinement and this will be my go to drone. Manual control still has advantages but they seem to be shrinking with time. Here’s a recen video.

The learning curve is flatlining out with my S2, it seems to get better with each flight. I’m now comfortable leaving the S2 alone, it’s an odd but awesome feature not having to worry about obstacles.

A few things I learned:

Keep the camera lenses clean. Even if thy look clean dust and smudges matter. I find my S2 follows tighter when I wipe down the cameras before flight.

The faster you go the higher the S2 will fly. I can bring the altitude down by slowing down to get a tight shot.

Let the S2 do it’s thing, don’t fight it and constantly reposition. It’s like a woman with strong feelings on it’s path.

Learning to work with the S2 makes better and safer videos. Unlike many I haven’t had range issues and I’m getting over 20 minutes flight time.

A little more refinement and this will be my go to drone. Manual control still has advantages but they seem to be shrinking with time. Here’s a recen video.

How do you usually fly.... phone only? ... phone + beacon? .... phone+controller?

P.S. It's going to be hard for me to not constantly look at drone while flying.... not sure if that will ever completely go away.

A few things I learned:

Yep, none of this is really surprising though. This drone was made for your user base.... unfortunately, I don’t spend much time doing off-road videos in a Jeep, or on a trail with a dirt bike. Still trying to figure out what my main use will be. But it’s an intriguing quad, and I will find something. I’m also getting 20 plus minutes.

How do you usually fly.... phone only? ... phone + beacon? .... phone+controller?

P.S. It's going to be hard for me to not constantly look at drone while flying.... not sure if that will ever completely go away.

I’m using the controller and Mini 4. I’m going to give the beacon another shot with the updates. I originally had an issue where my S2 would not frame the subject but that appears to be fixed. I’d like to use the beacon and tablet similar to the Typhoon H WW.

I don’t think I’ll ever get comfortable not looking at my S2 in flight but I have come to trust it. It was nerve racking at first but it does a better job avoiding obstacles than many pilors. With the lenses clean it even avoids leafless tress with small branches although I still keep my eye on it.

I’m using the controller and Mini 4. I’m going to give the beacon another shot with the updates. I originally had an issue where my S2 would not frame the subject but that appears to be fixed. I’d like to use the beacon and tablet similar to the Typhoon H WW.

I don’t think I’ll ever get comfortable not looking at my S2 in flight but I have come to trust it. It was nerve racking at first but it does a better job avoiding obstacles than many pilors. With the lenses clean it even avoids leafless tress with small branches although I still keep my eye on it.
Definitely are a lot of combinations to play with. Always carrying the beacon as insurance though seems like the way I'll be going.

I've got both iOS and Android devices and will be curious which ends up working better.

The latter version of the "very" small iPod Touch that I have (that's still constantly getting new OS updates) will be especially fun to experiment with.

Definitely are a lot of combinations to play with. Always carrying the beacon as insurance though seems like the way I'll be going.

I've got both iOS and Android devices and will be curious which ends up working better.

The latter version of the "very" small iPod Touch that I have (that's still constantly getting new OS updates) will be especially fun to experiment with.
Oh man, I wouldn’t use an IPod touch with this thing. You let me know how that goes.

Oh man, I wouldn’t use an IPod touch with this thing. You let me know how that goes.
The Touch that I have works beautifully with my Mavic so with a little bit of luck I'll have no problems with the S2.

Good things come in small packages...

The Touch that I have works beautifully with my Mavic so with a little bit of luck I'll have no problems with the S2.

Good things come in small packages...
Nope, still would never do it. Though I was surprised to find out that the newest 7th gen has the A10 chip in it.

I discovered if you switch into the Fixed Track mode the S2 is much more stable and does not lunge as much. It does keep a fixed perspective(clock) so you need to position it as you rotate.

I should have realized this from my Anafi where dynamic tracking it all over the place if you rotate.

You can see the difference in this video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup